Germany for Cooks
Route: Frankfurt - Wiesbaden - Eltville -Castle Eltz - Birgel - Ahrweiler - Frankfurt
Field and Farm
- Vineyard walk and picnic: wander through the vines enjoying views of the three rivers: the powerful Rhine, eerie Mosel and romantic Ahr and talk to the winemakers about their passion.
- Visit a cheese-ageing cellar where artisan cheese is ripened.
- Meet a passionate restaurateur who owns an Organic Beef Farm (Demetre).
- Visit a goat farm and dairy and watch the cheesemaking process.
- Try your hand at baking bread in a 17th-century stone oven. This artisan bakery is located in a working corn and mustard mill.
Tastings and MasterClasses
- Cheese tasting: sample the famous Hessen speciality Handkäs mit Musik.
- Wine Tasting: Riesling and Burgundy from the world-renowned Rheingau, Mosel and Ahr regions.
- Charcuterie tasting: traditional German smoked sausages.
- Sourdough breadmaking masterclass - from starter to bread - this is addictive! You'll soon find you have a little sourdough starter growing in your fridge...
- A walking tour of Wiesbaden, Europe's oldest spa town, its streets lined with elegant neo-classical buildings
- Visit the grand Wiesbaden Stadttheater built in the Baroque Revival style at the end of the 19th century
- Burg Eltz a medieval castle in the hills above the Mosel river
- Kloster Eberbach, the monastery that featured in the film 'The Name of the Rose'
- Kloster Johannisberg, the monastery with one of the most modern wine cellars in Europe