- Would you like to become more adventurous with veg?
- How do you whip up a delicious side dish in minutes?
- Did you know that basil leaves should be treated differently to parsley?
- What’s the best way to store your veg?
- Would you like to learn how to prepare mash à la Joel Rebuchon
- What’s the best way to fry potatoes?
I am not a vegetarian, but I love my veg! I’ll show you how many ways vegetables can be prepared and how simple “roots and stalks” can be transformed into a delicious meal or sophisticated side dish.
The day starts at around 5am with a visit to New Covent Garden, the largest vegetable market in London. We’ll buy a wide range of vegetables (you will also have time at the market to buy some for your home) and we’ll discuss their different properties and storage. We’ll then head home for a well-deserved rest.
In the evening we’ll meet in your kitchen to create a vegetarian feast. We’ll see how the humble carrot can be transformed into a velvety caramelized carrot soup and I’ll show you the secret to cooking crisp, fresh veg. Each lesson will cover a number of seasonal varieties and preparations, spanning braising, baking, boiling, steaming, drying, infusing, sous-viding and so on. We also cover different potato preparations in more detail, including mash and Dauphinois and learn about different herbs and their uses.
- Asparagus soup with onion marmalade and soft poached egg, topped with Parmesan foam
- Caramelised chicory/ balsamic beetroot, roast celeriac with Marsala
- Parsnip and carrot chips
- Tagliatelle with cavolo nero, chickpeas and pecorino
- Three types of gnocci
- Slow cooked quince
The dishes we prepare can be enjoyed on their own as well as an accompaniment to fish and meat. Each lesson will start with honing those all-important knife skills and a talk about the ways stocks and sauces are prepared. A friendly cleaner will help keep your kitchen tidy
Price: £160 per person with 4 people participating (10% discount for the host), price for smaller groups on request, gift vouchers available
- Transport to and from the market (for participants from North London only, for other locations please enquire about transport costs)
- Tour of the market
- Evening cooking session
- Prepared dinner, amuse bouche and petit fours
- Sharpening of your favourite knife (optional)